Looking for a last minute homemade gift idea? Look no further than this dark chocolate pistachio toffee. I promise that the recipient will love this – it is highly addictive. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. This buttery, crunchy toffee is topped with plenty of dark chocolate and chopped pistachios. Sweet with a little saltiness from the nuts. A perfect combination and oh so very good. I made a batch to package up with some Christmas gifts and wound up with quite a bit leftover. Since I couldn’t stop eating it, I brought the rest in to work to share with my co-workers. I could not be trusted around this stuff.
This recipe was inspired by a recent visit to Trader Joes. I was walking down the aisle in our local store that has all those fun candy and cookie items. I was lingering a little too long when I spotted their version of this toffee. I almost put it in my cart, but decided instead to try making it at home.
You will need a candy thermometer for this recipe, but you can pick them up for pretty cheap. And it’s well worth it – I’ve put mine to good use over the last few weeks with all these holiday sweets! I thought making toffee at home would be difficult but it really is pretty simple. The hardest part is waiting for the toffee to harden up in the refrigerator to give it a taste. I made mine right before I went to bed for the night, so of course I had to sneak a bite the next morning before running out the door to work. Don’t judge : )
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups dark chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped pistachios, divided
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Generously butter the parchment paper and then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, add the butter, sugar and water. Stir the mixture continuously until the sugar has dissolved and it just starts to boil. Attach a candy thermometer to the pan and let the mixture cook until it reaches 300 to 310 degrees. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and salt. Very carefully pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and use an offset spatula to spread to ¼ inch thickness. Let the toffee cool for about 1 ½ to 2 minutes and then evenly sprinkle 1 cup of the chocolate chips over the toffee. Let sit for a few seconds and then use an offset spatula to evenly spread the chocolate over the toffee. Next, sprinkle ½ cup of the chopped pistachios over the chocolate.
- Let the toffee cool for another 5 minutes and then transfer the pan to the refrigerator. Allow the toffee to harden, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and use the parchment to gently lift the toffee out of the pan. Set on the counter. Line the baking sheet with a new piece of parchment paper and then gently flip the toffee onto the new piece (with the chocolate side down).
- Add the remaining chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 50 percent power for 30 second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. Pour the melted chocolate over the toffee and use an offset spatula to spread out evenly. Quickly sprinkle the remaining ½ cup pistachios over the chocolate (before it starts to set). Return the pan to the refrigerator and allow to harden completely. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.