Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy

Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy

I’m so excited about today’s post! Because ooooo boy is it a good one!

We’re talking classic, delicious biscuits and gravy … made vegetarian and lightened up a bit too. Without sacrificing any flavor. Now that’s a double whammy of goodness right there!

Let’s first talk biscuits. Have I told you about my complete obsession with coconut oil these days? I blow through jars like nobody’s business. So of course I had to go ahead and replace the butter in the biscuits with coconut oil. You guys – mind blown.

You’ll cut solid state coconut oil into the flour mixture just like you would butter. And then proceed like normal, stirring in some milk, forming a dough and cutting out rounds. They bake up into tender delicious biscuits, studded with fresh rosemary for some additional herby flavor. I didn’t even miss the butter – so that’s saying something right there.

Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy

And now for the gravy. Replacing the traditional sausage is a mixture of onions, carrots and mushrooms, which all help bulk it up and add some oompf. We’ll also add in some more fresh rosemary and a little bit of vegan worcestershire to up the savoriness.

It will simmer for a few minutes, thicken up nicely … and then you’ll go ahead and spoon this creamy gravy right on over a biscuit.

I do believe that is one delicious special weekend breakfast. Especially with a good cup of coffee.

Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy

My husband was a little skeptical of this meal at first – i.e. before he had tasted it. And once he did? He said the flavors were spot on to a normal biscuits and gravy and unless he was seriously thinking about it, he didn’t even notice a difference.

Winning at life.

So hop on over to Oh My Veggies, where I’m sharing the recipe! —> Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy!

On an unrelated note – just a heads up that I’m taking a few days off (and will be away from my computer (which I am horribly attached to by the way)) to celebrate my birthday – the big 3-0. Eek! I have a recipe post scheduled for you on Friday but I appreciate your patience for responses to emails, comments, etc.! A girl turns 30 only once : )

More from Cookie Monster Cooking:

Comments

1. says

That is awesome that you made biscuits with coconut oil! I bought my first jar of coconut oil the other day, but still haven’t used any of it, after seeing this recipe I will have to break it out soon! Biscuits and gravy are my guilty pleasure breakfast and these photos are making me so hungry :)

2. says

Wow, this is such a great idea! Love that you made a veggie version of biscuits and gravy and that you replaced the butter with coconut oil too – they look dee-licious! Yay for 30, happy happy birthday friend! You definitely deserve a break and hope it’s amazing and every bit as special as you! Enjoy! *hugs*

3. says

Ashley, your biscuit and gravy looks delicious, I love the sound of the gravy…mushrooms and all the ingredients in it…
    Hope you are having a fantastic week :D

4. says

Yeah Happy Birthday I hope you have a great day :D I love all your vegetarian recipes that you have its great to see a meat eater giving them a go. I totally understand your obsession with coconut oil I adore it and buy it by the bucket load. I am definitely going to give this recipe a go.

5. Jo @ the contented baker says

These look great Ashley! I have yet to try baking with coconut oil and I guess it’s time I gave it a try – I think it might be an expensive habit!! ;-) Have a fabulous birthday celebration. Enjoy!! You deserve a break from the computer you are such a great, diligent blogger!! Happy Birthday x

6. says

Biscuits and gravy are Ryan’s absolute favorite. He doesn’t like to eat much meat so I know he’ll be thrilled if I try this version! Thank you for sharing!

7. says

Oh what a brilliant idea to use coconut oil instead of butter (not that I don’t like butter hey but coconut is amaaaaazeballs!). I’m sure it makes these biscuits awesome! They do look fabulous! I’m off to check out that recipe right now xx

8. says

Have I told you that biscuits and gravy is my fave breakfast?? Well, it’s actually a tie between eggs benedict and biscuits and gravy. Any-ways. Love the lightened up veggie version Ashley! Looks every bit as indulgent as the original. And hurrrayyyyyyy for your b-day and turning 30!! I hope you have wonderful wonderful celebration my friend!