The Little Things – July 2014

The Little Things - July 2014

It’s Friday! And it’s time to chat about July happiness!

{In case you are new and curious, you can refer to my first little things post to see why I started the series – it involves a story about me yelling at cars. It’s good stuff, I tell you.}

Let’s do this!

The Little Things - July 2014

A July 4th potluck with friends. I told you we love potlucks! And the weather was just gorgeous. Cool, breezy, sunny and one of our neighbors set off legit fireworks … like right down the street. So festive! Although it was a little nutty how big they were for something in a backyard.

The Little Things - July 2014

Successfully surprising one of our friends with a giant cake for her 30th birthday. And then getting to eat said cake. Peanut butter + chocolate = amazingggg.

The Little Things - July 2014

Garden cucumber deliveries from our sweet neighbors and their two little girls. These bad boys were consumed almost immediately.

The Little Things - July 2014

Another potluck. Yup, obsessed. This time it was lots of appetizers and there may have been some old school music playing on a CD player (CDs!). Including one ridiculous sing-along to Barbie Girl. Please tell me you remember that song??

The Little Things - July 2014

A visit from my parents. And a trip to the local baseball stadium. I insisted we get covered seats. Which turned out to be a great decision since it decided to downpour. Hard core.

The Little Things - July 2014

A visit from my in-laws. And another trip to the local baseball stadium. We sat in the front row on the first base line right by where the pitchers warmed up. I was slightly terrified that a ball was going to smack me in the face. It didn’t – happy happy!

The Little Things - July 2014

My favorite little beagle, as always. She just makes me smile every single day.

The Little Things - July 2014

A new postcard that I framed and hung up in our foyer. Policies that are strictly enforced at our house. My husband likes to drag me in front of the sign when I get all attitude-like with him. Guess that’s my own fault for buying it!

So tell me about your month! And remember – per the sign, no frowning! Only hugs, smiles and warm fuzzy feelings. Happy weekend friends!

More from Cookie Monster Cooking:

Comments

1. says

Awww you are the sweetest friend – what a gorgeous and decadent cake to make for your friend! Summer potlucks are the best but fireworks are probably slightly better! :)

July has been filled with yard work for me – per your postcard – am not whining – I do love yard work, and I am overjoyed to have completed some big (to me at least) projects without hiring anyone else to get ’em done.

• Ashley says

That’s awesome Shashi! I always feel good when I tackle some home project that I thought I couldn’t do!

2. says

I love Emma! And I’m glad I’m not the only one who loves posting pictures of their kids, I mean pets,! OMG! I remember Barbie Girl well, I went to a summer camp and we had to do a dance to that song in front of the entire camp! Good memories… And, that cake, it looks amazing! I need a huge piece of it immediately! I haven’t been to a potluck in so long and am now thinking I should throw one soon!

3. says

I want to snuggle your dog in one arm and eat a piece of that cake with the other. There’s something about dogs and cake that make me a VERY happy camper! If you’re ever looking for another potlucker, ahem, more than happy to supply a few dishes for an invite 😉

4. says

I remember that song!!! Now I feel old!!! That peanut butter cake looks amazing I wish I had a slice to go with my coffee especially as I am stuck on a ship right now and the food is really bad :( So to torture myself further I am catching up on all my food blog reading and making myself so hungry!!!

5. says

I think I am going to have to get myself one of those posters to drag both myself and hubby in front of from time to time (try at least once every day)!
    Love the baseball pictures as I feel like they are giving me a glimpse into quintessential American life! Have a great weekend, Ashley!

6. Jo @ the contented baker says

Such a great post Ashley! Fun to hear about things beyond the blog! My July has been hectic – kids off school, weather totally gorgeous, a trip to Copenhagen (think fabulous foodie bakes, Scandinavian design and Viking Ships for the kids!), our first family camping experience in a Mongolian yurt – idyllic fun and great memories. Hence, been a bit ‘blogging lite’ this past month!! Have a great August :-)

7. says

Love your moments this month Ashley! Those potlucks looked so yummy. If I had to recount my favourite three moments, I’d have to say getting engaged, passing all my exams to qualify for becoming a lawyer later this year and discovering a local organic farmer’s market. Wow! When you look at it that way July was pretty great! Thanks for bringing back these memories up :)

8. says

I love reading these posts and seeing what you’ve been up to lately. And seeing lots of Emma’s cuteness always helps too. :)

That postcard is adorable. It’s a great reminder to have everyday- happiness is a choice! Have a great weekend!!

9. says

It’s so bad that it’s only about 9AM and I want to grab that cup of sangria and drink it…so bad! That cake looks amazing, and I’m guessing you’ll post that some time? The swirls in that frosting look dreamy! Your little Emma is too darn cute, and I love the message on that post card. I need that for my kids. haha Have a great weekend!

10. says

I love potlucks!! Thankfully I’m going to one on Sunday. And the best part? I’m going to make cupcakes for it! 😀
    I feel like I’ve spent quite a bit of time with friends this month, as well as my family, so it was a great month for me! And I’ve started learning how to swing dance which has been a blast.
    That postcard=love. I need that for my dorm room!

11. says

Yay for potlucks and gorgeous weather! Emma is so adorable and always makes me smile:) Absolutely love the cake and that postcard:) July was a great month but flew by way too quickly! We are trying to enjoy and soak up every bit of summer so no frowning on my end :) Happy Friday & have a great weekend Ashley!

12. Jessica says

Aww, great memories! That Barbie Girl sing-along was epic. Next up: Spice Girls. 😉
    Most delicious birthday cake EVER!