I am fully convinced that I am going to turn into a watermelon. Really, it’s going to happen.
The last few weeks I’ve gleefully bought a watermelon each week at the food store and then immediately proceeded to cut it up as soon as I get home. And because I am impatient I start stuffing my face right away before the container can even be put in the fridge to chill for a bit. Even though cold watermelon is better than room temperature watermelon, I can’t help myself. It’s just so good.
So by the end of the summer it is very likely that I am going to be one giant walking watermelon. Now there’s a visual for you.
I decided that I should maybe get at least a little creative with all my watermelon consumption and so this salad was born. The idea came from something I ate at a local restaurant, although once again I don’t even remember which restaurant I had it at. All I know is that it was last summer and that it has been sitting on my list of things to make for the blog since then (with a little note that said “MUST MAKE SOON” – clearly I ignore my own notes to myself). Major fail because you need this in your life asap.
I know there are plenty of other watermelon salad recipes out there, but gosh is this one awesome. Cold, sweet watermelon, sprinkled with feta, peanuts and arugula, and then drizzled with a sriracha vinaigrette.
Sweet, salty and just a hint spicy all in one. Pure perfection.
Although who are we kidding, watermelon is perfection all by itself too.
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- about 5 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- about ⅓ cup packed arugula, chopped
- To make the dressing - add the sriracha, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Add in the olive oil and whisk vigorously until smooth. Set aside.
- To assemble - divide the watermelon among the four serving plates. Sprinkle each with some of the feta, peanuts and arugula. Drizzle with the desired amount of dressing and serve immediately.
I had dressing leftover - it’s great for other salads!
Cookie Monster Cooking