Football Cupcakes

Football Cupcakes | Cookie Monster Cooking

Let’s chat about Super Bowl food today.  Because the big game is coming up and well, food is super important.  Like what I did there?  I know, I’m so funny {ahem, not really}.

And since the Patriots didn’t pull out a win this past weekend, my attention is now devoted solely to good eats for the game.  Although let’s be honest, as much as I do like watching football, food is always more important in my little world.

Football Cupcakes | Cookie Monster Cooking

So we’ve talked about wings and chili and cornbread … and now it’s time to talk about dessert.  And football cupcakes are just so fun.  Am I right?  I about died of cuteness when I finished making these and started screaming for my husband to come look at them since I was so impressed with myself.  Ha.  I don’t think he appreciated that too much.  His excitement over my “cute” food is not quite as high as my own…

Now you can use your favorite chocolate base and any white colored frosting here, but let me suggest that you use a cream cheese frosting.  It pairs awesome awesome awesomely with the chocolate base.  Can you tell I am a huge supporter of that combo?

Football Cupcakes | Cookie Monster Cooking

So go make some cute food for the big day.  And be sure to check out the game day category on the site if you’re looking for some other fun ideas!  Although none will be as cute as these cupcakes … I outdid myself this time (or at least that’s what I’m telling myself!).

Football Cupcakes

Yield: 24 cupcakes
Ingredients
For the cookie garnish:
For the cupcakes:
  • 1 batch your favorite vanilla or cream cheese frosting
  • green gel food coloring
  • 1 batch your favorite chocolate cupcakes
  • piping bags and tips
Instructions
  1. To make the sugar cookies - roll out the dough as directed in the sugar cookie recipe linked above. Cut out 24 mini football-shaped cookies (about 2 inches in length and about 1 ¼ inches width at the widest point) - I just used a knife since I didn’t have a cookie cutter in that shape. Bake as directed in the recipe (375 degrees for about 6 ½ minutes). Let cool on the baking sheet for several minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
  2. To assemble - spoon a small amount of the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small tip (I used a #4 in size). Pipe the stitching onto each cooled cookie (slightly towards the top of each football).
  3. Next use the green gel food coloring to tint the remaining frosting the desired shade of green. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe onto each cupcake as desired (I used a large star tip).
  4. Carefully set each cookie into the icing, on a slight diagonal, so that it stands up on its own.
Notes
I used this recipe for cream cheese frosting, however feel free to use your own favorite vanilla, cream cheese or any white colored frosting. You’ll need enough to frost 24 cupcakes.

I used this recipe for dark chocolate cupcakes, however feel free to use your own favorite. Again, you’ll need 24 cupcakes.

You will likely have some extra chocolate sugar cookie dough. I made a few extra cookies just to enjoy separately but feel free to cut back the amounts slightly.

Source:
Cookie Monster Cooking

More from Cookie Monster Cooking:

Comments

1. Erin O'Brien says

I am SO incorporating the football cookie garnish into my cupcakes for this year’s Super Bowl! Thanks for the idea. :)

2. says

These really are CUTE! My husband tells me that cute is a girl word. Guy not only don’t appreciate cute, they don’t use the word. As I am not a football fan, I believe I deserve your cute cupcakes on Superbowl Sunday! :) Consider your cupcakes appreciated!

• Ashley says

lol cute is definitely a girl word … someday I’ll learn not to expect my husband to get as excited as me over cute food!!

• Ashley says

haha true true … too cute for most guys I think (clearly as my husband didn’t seem to care lol). But my friends loved them!

3. says

Wow these are so perfectly decorated! You clearly have a great eye for detail. Love the colour combination too please excuse my ignorance but is it for a certain team (We don’t have the Superbowl in the UK!)

4. says

I love how seasonal you are and always spot on with the holidays and events! You must be so organized! : ) I made similar cupcakes a couple of Super Bowls ago…I saw an old ‘Mad Hungry’ show where she carved a football out of Andes Mints and used white sprinkles to finish it. I have Andes at the house all the time so I had to do it. Your cupcakes made me smile…and feel guilty that I’m not planning anything cute like that for my little one… : )

• Ashley says

Ooo with Andes Mints – that’s a great idea! haha and yes, I can be a wee bit obsessive about organization (as my husband likes to tell me!)

5. says

Omg yes, the food is always more important and the best part! I used to love getting invited to super bowl parties, not because I knew anything about football but because the food was always fantastic. These are so adorable Ashley!

6. says

We are very happy here in Colorado about the Super Bowl (as you might imagine) but food is still top on my list too! These look too cute. Thank you for sharing!

7. says

These are adorable cupcakes, and are very worthy of Game Day! My team never wins (Raiders…I know…poor me), so it’s always about a great match up and the best food. Great football is always a perfect excuse for awesome food. haha Have a great day, Ashley!

8. says

Omg, these cupcakes are so cute! I’m not big on nfl football, but I would totally go to a super bowl party just for these cupcakes. I absolutely love cream cheese frosting. Especially with some cake on the side. 😉 Pinned these to my football board!