Cranberry Bacon Grilled Cheese

Cranberry Bacon Grilled Cheese | Cookie Monster Cooking

I’m in the thick of it.  Thanksgiving prep that is.  This weekend it all started.  I made two kinds of dinner rolls (which are stashed in the freezer for now), some of the spiced nuts for the appetizers and a batch of sugar cookies with royal icing.

This weekend also started the week of craziness as I’m going to call it.  Prep is in full swing.  I’m trying to wrap up some things for my day job before a few days off.  I’ve been cleaning our house like mad.  My in-laws are arriving Tuesday.  There’s more grocery shopping to be done.  More dishes to be made.  But I’m ready.  Bring it on.

Cranberry Bacon Grilled Cheese | Cookie Monster Cooking

So, since you’re likely all set for the big day, let’s turn our attention to Thanksgiving leftovers.  We are big fans of leftovers here … we make extra food on purpose just so we have plenty to enjoy after t-day.  While decorating the house for Christmas (!!).

We seem to always have leftover cranberry sauce.  Always.  And while I do love swirling some into my yogurt for a snack, here’s another way to put it to use.  A delicious sweet and salty breakfast sandwich.  Thick pieces of salty bacon, two different types of cheese and some of that tangy sauce all between two thick pieces of bread.  It definitely hits the spot.

Maybe enjoy one of these before you head out for the crazy Black Friday sales.  Which I will absolutely not be taking part in.  I’d rather watch Christmas Vacation at home instead (seriously, so pumped for this).

Cranberry Bacon Grilled Cheese | Cookie Monster Cooking

Oh, and this grilled cheese is really good if you use two big ol’ slices of this pumpkin cinnamon swirl bread.  Ohhh yeah.

Cranberry Bacon Grilled Cheese

Yield: 2 sandwiches
Ingredients
  • 4 thick slices of your favorite bread
  • about 2 tablespoons cream cheese
  • about 2 tablespoons leftover cranberry sauce
  • 2 to 4 slices thick cut bacon, cooked
  • about ½ cup freshly grated white cheddar cheese
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Instructions
  1. Lay out two pieces of the bread on a work surface. Smear half of the cream cheese on each slice. Top each with half of the cranberry sauce, half of the bacon slices (breaking them in half if needed to fit), and half of the cheddar. Top with the two remaining slices of bread.
  2. Set a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the butter. When melted, add the two assembled sandwiches to the pan. Cook, flipping once halfway through, until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.

Source:
Cookie Monster Cooking

More from Cookie Monster Cooking:

Comments

1. says

What a fantastic flavor combo! I love the contrast of sweet and savory, but never thought to try it in a grilled cheese. This is such a creative use for your lovely pumpkin bread.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family, Ashley!

2. says

Oh gosh! I am so bad at putting flavors like these together. I never would have thought of this on my own, but these sandwiches seriously sound so good! I’m definitely keeping this in mind for my Thanksgiving leftovers and snacking while decorating for Christmas!

3. says

I love this twisted grilled cheese…like the idea of cranberry sauce…love the idea of sweet and savory all in one bite.
    Thanks for the inspiration Ashley…have a wonderful week 😀

4. says

This is such a fantastic idea of using up leftover cranberry sauce Ashley! We are also big fans of leftovers. Who wants to do more cooking after T-Day? I sure don’t! :) Love this recipe and will be putting this on my bucket list. Delicious! Have a great week my friend! Enjoy your Thanksgiving with your in-laws.

5. says

I can just tell everything is going to be perfect at your house. If it’s anything like your blog, it definitely will. :) I mean, you are already posting recipes for leftovers- you are on top of it girl!

A grilled cheese is a brilliant way to use up leftovers. Comfort food at it’s best.

6. says

I haven’t had a grilled cheese in so long…maybe it’s time to change that. This looks delicious and I love that you used your own bread. All those flavour combinations are awesome! Also, great tip on swirling cranberry sauce into yogurt!

7. says

You’ve got a lot on your plate, my friend, but I know you can pull it off without a hitch! I’m loving the Instagram photos — you’re making me want to change my game plan with those rolls and cute cookies. Luckily theres plenty of time for more cookies at least with Christmas coming. This grilled cheese looks ridiculous in the best possible way, too — I’d love one right now and it’s only 8 AM! Keep up the good prepping.

8. says

What a delicious combo of flavors, Ashley! Honestly, I think left-overs may be my favorite part of Thanksgiving food! I expect all of that time and energy in the kitchen to feed us for several days. :)

9. says

I’m so glad to hear that you got so much prep work done already, I know your in-laws will appreciate all the hard work and your big meal will be awesome :) This grilled cheese sandwich looks delicious Ashley! This is such a wonderful dish to use up the cranberry sauce. The sweet/tartness will pair perfectly with the salty bacon and cheese – I really love the flavor combinations here :) Love your cute napkins too! Hope the rest of your preparation week goes smoothly and you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! :)