Thanksgiving Menu and Preparations 2013

Thanksgiving Menu and Preparations 2013 | Cookie Monster Cooking

Gobble gobble! Who is ready for Thanksgiving?? This girl sure is.

Planning and preparations are in full swing at our house … and I figured it was time once again to share my menu with you. Or should I say two menus. Oh right, that whole double thanksgiving thing. So let’s just jump right in, shall we? We’re going to break this down into two parts …

Thanksgiving Number 1: The Pre-Game

The challenge?  Gluten-free diets.  Which are especially hard for my gluten loving / carboholic self.

So, Thanksgiving Number 1. The joys of living far away from family. For the last five years or so, we’ve celebrated Thanksgiving with my husband’s family. So this year we decided it would be fun to have a smallish pretend Thanksgiving with my parents and sister ahead of the real turkey day.

This actually went down this past weekend. We kept the meal on the smaller side since this was just a warm-up of sorts. You know, a little teaser to get you even more pumped for T-day.

Main Dish & Sides:

Dessert:

*For the skillet apple crisp I subbed in almond flour for the all-purpose flour and it worked out great.

Thanksgiving Menu and Preparations 2013 | Cookie Monster Cooking

So let’s move on. To the big kahuna. The turkey bonanza. T-day.

Thanksgiving Number 2: The Real Deal

The challenge?  I’ve got picky eaters on my hands!  And some who don’t like change…

So as of right now, here’s what I have planned:

Appetizers:

Main Dishes & Sides:

Dessert:

Whew. I’ve got some cooking ahead of me!

Thanksgiving Menu and Preparations 2013 | Cookie Monster Cooking

Since this is getting long, I’m going to point you to the post I wrote last year, which includes things I consider when making my menus and what I do to get our house ready as well. All those strategies are in full effect this year too.

Thanksgiving Menu and Preparations 2012

So there you have it. Now tell me about your plans. Are you hosting dinner? Making a few dishes? Just along for the ride? Share share!

More from Cookie Monster Cooking:

Comments

1. says

Everything sounds wonderful Ashley! I admire you for hosting 2 dinners. I don’t think I can pull it off. I got my eyes on the pumpkin corn muffins and honey butter. Delicious! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2. says

You are so very impressive. I love that you shared both menus with us (and so many yummy links for me to explore!) Thank you for sharing. They both sound perfect in my book!

3. says

Wow, what an awesome menu! I have full confidence that your big Thanksgiving dinner will be a huge hit because all of your dishes sound amazing! It shows how much thought and work you put into preparing for this and I know your family will definitely be blown away and appreciate all of your hard work and effort :) Great job Ashley and hope you have a great weekend!

4. Jo @ The Contented Baker says

Gosh, what a great post! I love how organised you are Ashley. The combination of dishes sound fantastic – lucky guests!!

5. says

Wow, Ashley…everything sounds amazing! You are certainly quite ambitious, but I’m sure you’ll pull in off beautifully!

We’re going to my parents’ house for Thanksgiving. That’s what we do every year. I’m going to make an apple casserole dish and pumpkin pie. Can’t wait!

6. says

From now on, I think I will always associate Thanksgiving with you, Ashley! : ) You are amazingly neat and organized. It comes across in your blog and your food and presentation. Everything looks truly great!
    I love the pretend Thanksgiving! And I’m sure your actual Thanksgiving will be a big hit. We’re getting together with my family – everyone cooks something – and it is an eclectic Asian-American feast with my mom leading the way. : ) (PS – I saw your cauliflower mash on TheKitch the other day. I love that site and I was so happy to see your dish featured!)

7. says

You need to open a business — you’re so organized! It all sounds wonderful, Ashley! My “plan” is still swirlin around in my head and isn’t concrete. I’m going to do a dry brined turkey with gravy, and I’ve enlisted help with a few side dishes so I can get more creative in other areas. I plan to narrow down my menu this weekend — thanks for the inspiration!

• Ashley says

haha thanks Marcie! My husband tells me I’m too organized sometimes … I must admit I can get a wee bit obsessive… lol

8. says

Wow, so you’re just cooking up a few dishes, huh? ;) I’ve actually never hosted Thanksgiving as of yet, but always show up with a couple dishes. I’m having a lot of fun looking through all the dishes on your menu. Thanks for sharing!

• Ashley says

Our menu is usually fairly similar each year also – I get too much resistance to change it! haha But I do try to sneak in a few new recipes … here’s to hoping certain people don’t notice : )